Puffer: Not just a fish
09:54 PM, December 06, 2016 / LAST MODIFIED: 10:10 PM, December 06, 2016

Puffer: Not just a fish

If you have never tried this swollen but decent looking fish yet, probably you are lucky enough and would better stay away from it!

The skin and visceral organs of puffer fish carry acute toxic substances, namely TTX (Tetrodotoxin) and STX (Staxitoxin). Scientists have shown that these toxins are about 1200 times more lethal than Cyanide, having strong resistance against heat.

Very small amount of these toxins may cause the death of a human being.

For avoiding such dangers, removal of poisonous visceral organs and skins of puffer fish, locally known as Patka fish, should be ensured by adopting proper processing techniques.

So, besides raising public awareness, the cultivation and marketing of puffer fish should be prohibited throughout the country.

In Bangladesh, there have been a number of reported deaths related to consumption of this deadly fish.

People who live longer than 24 hours typically survive, although possibly after a coma lasting several days, according to Wikipedia.

Today, five people including two children died and 12 others fell sick after eating puffer fish in Jaintapur upazila of Sylhet.

To the Japanese, this fish is a delicacy. However, they ensure it is safe to consume by adopting proper processing techniques. But local consumers rarely follow the methods.

So, it is advisable to leave the fish alone and not invite death! 

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone and Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top